- Sandra has cerebral palsy.
- She uses speech, gestures and a communication book to communicate as well as a computer with speech output (a DynaVox MT4).
- Sandra is very outgoing and loves to interact with other people.
- Her church community and her family are very important in her life.
- We first met Sandra when she was 13 years old.
- She was very motivated to learn to read, but she had never had the opportunity to participate in literacy instruction.
- After approximately 8 weeks of instruction, Sandra had learned to decode regular words. She was able to use these skills to participate in shared reading activities.
- In this video, Sandra is talking about the impact of literacy on her life.
- Visit the rest of the website to learn more about how Sandra learned to read.
Unauthorized copying, transmittal, or exhibition of this video outside of this website is prohibited.
Last Updated: August 31, 2012